Monday, June 9, 2008

When In Mexico, Do The Truffel Shuffle...

Mexico can be a great place, only if you know the rules... You guessed it, this last week my family and I took a road trip with some friends across the border to the land of PEMEX gasoline and where everything seems to be "almost free for you, amigo!" Puerto Penasco (a.k.a. Rocky Point) has some great attractions as well as some that are no-so-great (and painful might I add).

I had been there before a few times (not Rocky Point, but near enough), however, my wife had never been. It was exciting for both of us and our little ones. It started out amazingly wonderful. A storm has just rolled through the weekend before and the air was cool and delightful. The beach, ohhhhhh the BEACH! It was delectable; such a lovely place to lounge around in my bathing suit and sun tan lotion all day long. We built a massive sand castle, of which I will happily take credit for the design and architecture (I cannot take credit for the killer drip castle trimmings done by the one and only KaseyMage). It took a few hours to finish it. But alas, it turned out great. The water filled it's mote properly then slowly the water ate it away, so did the kids...

Day 3, was quite the adventure, however. Up until this point one of the guys we were with kept telling us that he did all this reading about stingrays and to "shuffle your feet in the water" to scare the stingrays away. None of us believed him... Then the inevitable happened. I got stung by a stingray! Imagine someone taking a dull barbeque skewer and jamming it into your foot and leaving it there for a while. That's what a stingray feels like. I thought I was in big trouble since we weren't sure if the stinger was still in there or not. So, we headed down to the local Red Cross. It was great. They cleaned me up, gave me a shot of some pain killer, and sent me on my way for $30. I'd say that's one of the best medical deals I've had in a long time. That's right...NO DEDUCTABLE, NO QUESTIONS. haha. They told me to put it in the hottest water I can stand and then take pain killers every eight hours. And as I walked out the nurse said, don't forget to "shuffle your feet in the water". Haha. We were all shuffling our feet in the water...

I really thought this part of the trip was great. It's not very often you get in a tight pince in a country you're unfamilar with. So the rest of the trip was smooth. We all had a seriously good time the rest of the week. So if you have that urge to cross the boarder and take a dip in the salty seas of Puerto Penasco don't forget to do the Truffel Shuffle.

No comments:

Post a Comment